Download assignment here: S15 ARCH 306_ASSIGNMENT 3A_IDEAhaus
IDEAhaus is a new Chicago Institution. Owned and operated by the City of Chicago, IDEAhaus is a network of buildings spread out across Chicago intended to establish a framework for community involvement and engagement. Individually, each building is defined by the specific needs of its site and context providing places for the community to MEET, MAKE and PERFORM, fostering public programs and potentials that are as diverse as the network of neighborhoods that make up Chicago.
You are now asked to specify the use program for the IDEAhaus, define a specific site for the building within your AREA OF INTEREST, and to develop and refine the primary motivations for the design of the facility.
– Develop a specific use program for the IDEAhaus
– Complete the necessary research to fully vet the site selection and use program
– Familiarize yourself with Quantum GIS software
– Learn how to create shape files with specific criteria in QGIS
– Select a site for the IDEAhaus within your area of interest and substantiate that location through GIS mapping and analysis.
– Practice quickly exploring concepts through modeling
– Develop and test concepts for the IDEAhaus
– Present a compelling argument for your IDEAhaus at Midterm review.
Develop a specific use program for the IDEAhaus specific to your research and area of interest. Mine your AREA OF INTEREST for it’s INFRA and develop a use program that improves, exploits, contradicts, etc, that framework.
Though simple, the programs can have a range of implications depending on where in the city they exist. What does meeting, making and performing mean across the city?
Identify potential sites and analyse their suitability. Select a site within your AREA OF INTEREST for the IDEAhaus. The site should be no larger than 30,000sf. The site can be any open, vacant or empty lot or any portion of open lot or parking lot. Proof of specific ownership is not essential. You will be asked to substantiate your chosen site through the use of GIS mapping.
Using the Quantum GIS software, you will be asked to overlay existing and newly created datasets to substantiate a specific site selection. Site selection will be contingent on the IDEAhaus’ specific use program and the agendas and criterias you have developed for the design of the facility.
NOTE: You must generate multiple of your own shape files or data sets to map. Existing GIS data is useful, but will not be adequate to substantiate your site selections.
With use program and site selection established, develop agendas/concepts/motivations for the design of the IDEAhaus and through an iterative process, establish the most appropriate design path/process.
Produce diagrams that explore intent, and produce massing studies that test that intent in place. You are encouraged to continue to explore possibilities using your site model from the Assemblage investigation.
Develop your design with the necessary documentation to adequately describe the site location, site substantiation, site influences, programmatic influences, programmatic adjacencies and form or massing for the design at your Midterm Review presentation.
IDEAhaus program and site brief:
– a new Chicago institution. a network of buildings across the city
– max 10,000sf footprint
– minimum (FAR) of .75. maximum FAR of 2(+/-).
– IDEAhause must contain a SPACE TO MEET, A SPACE TO MAKE and A SPACE TO PERFORM
- What are the potential impacts of your project’s siting and program to your Area of Interest?
- What are the influences of the area on your IDEAhaus?
- How can the IDEAhaus interface with your area of Interest?
schedule (key dates):
W Feb 11 Assignment Launch / Program brief
F Feb 13 GIS intro lecture / desk crits
M Feb 16 Program research due
F Feb 20 GIS lecture / desk crits
M Feb 23 Concept modeling workshop
F Feb 27 Cincinnati Field Trip
W March 11 Mid-term Review
Midterm Review: Wednesday, March 11th, 2015, 2-6pm, Upper Core:
- Programmatic diagrams or research that describe specific uses for the IDEAhaus.
- Minimum one (1) GIS map with a minimum of 3 datasets that have been customized to substantiate choices for IDEAhaus site.
- Parti sketch/diagrams supporting your overall concept.
- Concept/diagrammatic models in place on an individual site model that describes at a minimum all adjacent buildings and streets.
- Diagrammatic plans and sections that described spatial conditions and sequences.
- Representative drawings that demonstrate spatial experience.