Students to arrive with the following
- Supplies (choose one):
- Pad of quality white paper, pencils in a range of hardness (for example 6B 3B H 3H 6H), an eraser, and erasing shield.
- Pad of quality white paper, a set of speedball or manga quill pens, a brush, and black india ink, a cup, a rag.
- Pad of quality grey paper, pencils in a range of hardness (for example 6B 3B H 3H 6H), white pencil, an eraser, an erasing shield.
- At least one Teacher’s Guide (text required, video optional) for the Montessori “Material” they’re currently constructing and analyzing. You can search Google and find a wide variety. These sites are helpful for a start:
Workshop Schedule – 120min Total
30min – Generate an inventory of reproducible graphical techniques and build them into a reference.
30min – Generate an inventory of layers (a list) by analyzing a teacher’s guide (videos and scripts) for your Montessori “material.” From the guide, deconstruct what families of elements and actions contribute to its total spatial imprint. For example, each of these suggest a new layer or layers:
- What is the space of the material when inactive?
- What defines the space of a material when activated?
- What is the space of movement, how far does it travel, and to what locations?
- What supporting spatial contexts or furnishings are required?
- What is the space of human interactions and how do they vary?
- Are there possible interactions with other materials?
30min – Using the previously developed reference – an (a) inventory of marks, and (b) inventory of spatial layers – experiment with ways to build a map, layer by layer, thinking about what technique you might deploy to communicate the quality of each layer. (Are spaces created by movement, are they linear or zoned, is it a space generated by movement in time, or by prepared or improvised boundaries, is it permanent or fluctating, is the space created by objects, human bodies, furnishings or views, etc.)
30min – Evaluate the correspondence of drawing technique to map content and define a strategy for work to be completed for Wednesday.